We get this question quite a lot as most people are familiar with Polygraph test due to its exposure on the television and very few programs feature VSA test as it is a relatively new technology and not as visual as Polygraph.
For this purpose the producers of programs and movies make use of old analog polygraph machines (needles & ink systems) for their display purposes.
Basically the VSA test comprises the measurement of the flexibility of the vocal cords. As one start to stress and enter into the “fight, flight or freeze (FOF)” mode, the body undergoes several changes to cope with the danger at hand. One of these changes is the body reduce blood to the extremities and utilize it in the major muscle groups located mainly in the upper body. This causes the muscles in the throat to tighten and the basic frequency of the voice changes.
In the late 40’s Dr. Olof Lippold from the University College in London discovered all humans had a base frequency of between 8 to 12 hertz when in a normal state.
As he put it in his report named PHYSIOLOGICAL TREMOR, “A slight oscillation at approximately 10 cycles per second accompanies the normal contraction of voluntary muscles. It appears to be caused by a “hunting” mechanism in the reflex that controls the muscle”
Once we enter into the FOF syndrome, this basic frequency is diminished and is significantly less.
Why use FVAS software to test with?
• FVAS is the only VSA which provides optional Voice Imaging Spectrograph for speaker identification and comparison now, not sometime “in the future.” This feature has been provided since 2002.
• FVAS is the only VSA which provides AutoReport which compiles and writes the report in the background as the examination is conducted saving valuable time. This is not a new feature. It’s been incorporated in our software since 2002.
• FVAS is the only VSA with our copyrighted 17 stress pattern quantification method. It sets the standard in stress chart interpretation. Our chart interpretation method was utilized in the successful and important USAF Research Laboratory Study which validated VSA as 100% accurate. It does not include the questionable “delayed stress reaction” theory which seems to invalidate other VSA approaches.
• FVAS is the only VSA with 16 different test protocols shown on-screen from the software dropdown menu. Examiners need only to add issue specific information prior to testing.
• FVAS is the only VSA featuring Streaming Voice Imaging displaying voice patterns instantly as the subject speaks saving valuable time.
• FVAS is the only VSA capable of displaying answer Time Antagonistic Response Aletheometer (TARA) patterns.
• FVAS is the only VSA featuring charts displaying derived stress patterns, time-domain, questions / answers, location on recorded AM window, baseline, protocol, filter rate / mode and examination data.
• FVAS is the only VSA which digitally records the entire examination, questions & answers, to computer hard-drive permitting close observation of the subject. No keystrokes required to capture each answer as in competitors’ systems.
• FVAS is the only VSA which operates with Microsoft Windows 7, Windows 8, XP, VISTA and earlier FVAS versions, which are still available, continue to work with MS 9X through NT / 2000. Additionally, the software will install in desktops, laptops, netbooks and handheld computers.
• The FVAS software is password protected which permits installation on multi-user laptops while protecting the forensic credibility assessment applications program from unauthorized access.
• FVAS software is “government level” encrypted preventing software pirating, overwriting or changing of the applications program. Internet access is required for software registration by the licensed end user.
• Unlike our competitors, our developer is our primary Board Certified Instructor, practicing VSA examiner for 40 years, practicing polygraph examiner for 30 years, and a certified examiner of Post Conviction Sex Offenders, conducting over 10,000 examinations.
• Unlike our competitors, our developer is a Court Qualified Expert in the field of forensic truth verification and legal investigations. He is a Fellow and Life Member of the professional organizations; International Society of Stress Analysts and the American Polygraph and Voice Stress Association.
We are leaders and innovators in VSA and voice biometrics technology development. FVAS is far superior to competitors’ outdated “truth verification” systems.